Friday, February 02, 2007

One afternoon at home I recieved a call from my youngest son's school to say he was on external expulsion, which means he can't attend school until we meet with the principal. They said it was not just one incident but a number of them.

When he came home my wife and I questioned him. He said he had had a run in with a teacher and words were exchanged. My son isn't perfect, and when he gets frustrated he says how he feels, but I thought that what the principal had apparently said was not right either. It seems he told my son that he would be better off leaving now, in Year 11, because he would never get a job, he would only ever get the dole.

That evening at home I opened my son's bedroom door and found him crying uncontrollably but not out loud. The light was out and I left it that way. I walked into his room and stood by his side. I asked, "What's the matter?" and he replied, "I'm dumb. I'll never get anywhere. I'm dumb, I'm dumb, I'm dumb.

A wave of sorrow came over me. You see, he has a learning disability. He's not dumb, far from it - in fact he's very bright - it's just that his comprehension is slow. I had the same problem when I went to school but nobody knew what it was in my day. I could relate to what he was saying very strongly. I told him once when he was younger, and he said with a grin and a hug, "So it's your fault!"

I sat on the bed next to him and said "Now you listen to me. You're not dumb. The problem is society's expectations: 'If you don't get that apprenticeship, if you don't get into university, you'll never be any good.' But I tell you this: you do the best you can. Mum and I will help you. But if you don't get that apprenticeship, if you don't reach your dreams it will still work out okay. I know because I've been there. We will love you just as much."

With that he seemed to settle down and I left the room. Since this talk we have come closer, and that's more important to me then anything else. When I entered his room I didn't have a clue what to say or do. And when I left I gave thanks to God for guiding me. Since our talk I can't help but think God is saying the same thing to everybody: "Listen to me. I've been there. I know what's best for you. We are related and I love you."
- Michael, Peoplespeak

God just wants the best for us all, and his love is the way to act through God. As Ignatius of Antioch said, "Life begins and ends throughgoing faith and love for Jesus Christ. Faith is the begining, and love is the end; and the union of the two together is God." If we acted through love a little more, think of all the wonders we could achieve! But if we wallow in self-pity at our failures, ignoring God's love and call, then we shall periously stumble in darkness, searching for some other light.

1 Comments:

At Fri Feb 02, 09:45:00 am, Blogger Pastichna, aka Kristina said...

OMG! I didn't know you have a son! You really should tell me these things.
And watch out Bryan, you're sounding like a Christian ;)
But I love what you're saying :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home