Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bryan cracks it with Microsoft

I refused to let my first entry on this wondiferous new space be full of malice and anger, but this is the second so its all good.

You may wonder what has prompted me to uproot my blog from msn spaces to here and the fact is that I've had enough of Microsoft and their shenanigans. Coming from someone who is a self-confessed anti-capitalist this may come as no great shock, but this particular company has got me shitted and I need to vent, which is why I have a blog.

Microsoft started as a company in the late 1970's and struggled into the 1980's. Their premise was to "revolutionise" the computer with a windows system as opposed to text only screens (e.g DOS). I say "revolutionise" because the company was not actually doing anything new, merely copying Steve Jobs from Macintosh who was in turn ripping off a Xerox idea. Until computers became mainstream use both companies struggled and due to the relatively small demand and a dedicated staff Microsoft managed to do something it has not achieved since 1991: release a program that ran properly. The laste 1980's saw a boom in the demand for home computers as well as offices and Windows version 3.1 was pumped out. In a brainwave move Bill Gates made what would be a killing move on opposing operating systems by ensuring MS DOS and Windows were packaged with a new PC, thereby ensuring a market for his products. This move was completed thanks to an American Government that a) knew little about computers other then you could put them on missiles, b) were staunch supporters for big businesses and c) equally opposed to the notion of deregulation. This enviroment was key to Microsoft's rapid mould-like growth.

What this has turned into is an epidemic whereby PC users the world over are forced to use Microsoft products. Even Apple has admitted defeat to Microsoft's office programs to the point they are iBook compatible. So we are slaves to the whim.

I do not blame the programmers. In fact, I refuse to. No programmer ever wants to put out a shabby product but the mere demand and rapid use of the system has thrown up incredible problems. To most businesses this would be a problem but Gates knows that the world needs Microsoft and so does not much care for user problems.

The little guy gets trampled. In this case: me. The problems I encountered with msn spaces are too numerouse, but I finally cracked it after the damn thing removed half my entries, changed my settings and subsribed me to something called "window's live" because, in the true American Way, Bigger is Better. Bullfuck.

I nearly coped, I really did, but msn took the cake when it deleted all my photos. I've had it. They have shown they don't need me, and I don't really care for them so everyone can get stuffed. Now I'm here, I hopefully haven't sworn too much to get ejected and for those who don't know:

This is My Blog. It is a vent hole. A release. When something is on my mind I endeavor to put it on here to enable me to think about it while I write. It's a random blog. Deal with it. Now where are my pants?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home